Wednesday, May 14, 2008

Fine

I got told that I am not updating this enough so here is an update :P

Today was the last day I read with kids this school year. My program runs for another week so I have three days left. The school I read at will not be open next year so it was weird walking out today knowing that I will never walk those halls again. I also started thinking about the kids I first read with and the fact that they will be 6th graders next year. If I do read for the same school (well, in a different location), I will still see them since the new school will be a K-8 school. All they are doing is moving in the K-5 into the existing middle school and this has been a hot topic in the school this last year.

My school will also be changing next year. The Kinders will mostly be at what is being called a "supper kindergarten" with 9 K classes and no other grades. I can see good and bad things that will happen with this one. On the good side, the ones in the "super" will be exposed to only other kids their own age and hat can help their learning. However, by not having them exposed to the older, and some meaner, kids, this allows them to not be as prepared for dealing with them in the first grade. On the other hand, they will be older so they can understand bullying more.

Working in a school these past two years has definitely changed the way I see teachers and
schools in general. I used to think that the school system failing was partially the teachers fault and never thought too much about it. Now I know that some teachers are just numbed to the entire process and most think that they are better than those of us in the schools who are not certified teachers. I see how they treat the assistants and me and the other volunteers and I am amazed. I thought that cliques were done with when you finished high school, but it is really bad with teachers. Not all of them are like this, but a good majority are and it really does bother me. Here I am trying my best to increase literacy and work with them and some refuse to even speak or look at me after two years. This year is the worst though. I have seen so many more assistants and literacy coaches and teachers be upset and having no problems talking behind each others backs and "tattling" on everyone behind their backs while smiling and talking to their faces. Maybe I am just too jaded.

Enough about work. I am almost through with it anyways.

Not too much is happening in my life since I am focussed on keeping myself calm and relaxed before my trip. It does help that I am walking the dogs with Joe on the weekend though. Last week we did a 4 mile round trip to check the mail. Joe even seems to be enjoying walking Buffy. It is so funny to watch him, being as big and buff as he is, walking the toy poodle while I walk the big lab mix.......the looks we get. Most people don't realize we are together since Buffy refuses to walk too close to Motor, but when they do, they just smile and nod.

Well, that is enough for now.

38 days until I catch a plane to see "the world" :)

3 Comments:

Blogger My Boys said...

Wish I could be on that plane with you. I've already seen all there is to see in the US and Canada Eh, and Mexico.

May 14, 2008, 2:55:00 PM  
Blogger Anna said...

well, it would definitely be interesting with you there

May 14, 2008, 4:16:00 PM  
Blogger Karen said...

and who isnt counting..hmmmmmmm i believe its now even least days. :) all i can say is bring it on. Anna with the schools and the way teachers are it has to be a world wide thing.

May 15, 2008, 3:01:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home